Could you just listen?
When I ask you to listen to me and you start giving advice, you have not done what I asked.
When I ask you to listen to me and you begin to tell me why I shouldn’t feel the way I do, you are trampling on my feelings.
When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to do something to solve my problem, you have failed me, strange as that may seem.
Listen… all I ask is that you listen.
Not talk to, or do, just hear me.
I can do for myself. I am not helpless. Maybe discouraged and faltering… but not helpless.
When you do something for me that I can and need to do for myself, you contribute to my inadequacy.
But, when you accept as a simple fact that I feel the way I do, no matter how irrational, then I can quit trying to convince you and get about this business of understanding what’s behind the irrational feeling.
When that’s clear, the answers are obvious and I don’t need advice. Irrational feelings make more sense when we understand what’s behind them.
Advice is cheap. 25 cents will give you Dear Abbey and Billy Graham in the same paper.
Good listeners don’t give advice or try to fix things. They just listen, and let you work it out for yourself.
So, please listen and hear me, and if you want to talk, wait a minute for your turn and I will listen to you.
So this is me venting. There is no need to respond with your take on the situation. I am just putting it out there because I need someone to talk to and I am stuck at work, so here goes...Woke up in a funk this morning. Stopped by Sports Club LA this morning to check it out on the way into work. The one in LA is much nicer. It was a little disappointing honestly. I can get a membership at all the Equinox's in NYC for the same price as the one club membership at Sports Club LA in Rockafeller Center. So I think I have already made my decision. It's pretty lame how much money it is altogether, but there are a few things in life that I would like to treat myself to and considering I share a space with seven people, I think I deserve this one! Walked to work after that... NOTE TO SELF: it is never a good idea to walk through Times Square, especially in the morning when you are rushing to work and it's 80 degrees outside. So many tourists, so many people in general. Too much for me in the morning! Really put me in this crap miserable state, feeling like the whole world was out to get me. Since then the day has gone by kind of slowly. I am working on some stuff, but I can't get my head out of the clouds.
Last night, I met up with some new friends. It was Ashley's birthday (we know each other through Shannon who was one of the reps who took us to the Bon Jovi concert last Thursday). It ended up being a group of 8 of us and I loved them all. They are my new wolf pack!! On the way home, Britta, Ash and I took a cab together, which got in an accident! He was being a dick anyway, so we ditched him and hopped in a new one. Today is Britta's going away party, she is moving to Chicago, which is so sad since we just met! They are having a party on the Rooftop tonight and then I am meeting up with Adrienne's cousin Rob on the LES. Should be a fun night again.
More later.
thanks for posting the "listen to me" poem. I really get it. Don't mean to lend advice when you really know what's up. Guess that's what moms (and lovers) do to try to make things better. I am happy to just hear your voice. I will be better at listening. Love you, MOM
ReplyDeleteMost definitely not talking about you momma. You're great. Don't take what I say personally!
ReplyDelete