OK, so I don't have much time (again, I know), but I have to get my second day of work underway! I even arrived early this morning so that I might have a few minutes to update you all on the past two days.
Saturday (Last day): Before I leave, my mom helped me realize that I packed my bags WAY too heavy, so instead of 2 checked bags, I had to have 3. Fine, except I didn't realize that the third checked bag costs $125! Super lame!!
Sunday (Day 1 in NYC): Arrive at JFK at 8am, get bags, take taxi to my apartment. Arrive and notice that the girl whose room I am taking has not fully moved out yet. Her bed is gone, but everything else remains. I take it in stride, putting my bags in the hallway (lugging them up a 3 story walk-up, not so fun, but on the upside, it was kind of a good arm workout) and then I make my way downtown. A friend of a friend had a bed that they were going to give me for super cheap (only $150) if I moved it out of their place for them. With that offer on the table, which was amazing, I booked a mover that I found by searching on Google a couple weeks ago. I had my doubts upfront about this guy, but he confirmed a few times and was really easy to get in touch with, so I was only slightly worried. I began trying to reach him a half hour before they were supposed to arrive... no answer. I think I called 15 times and left 4 messages in the following 45 minutes, no answer, no show. Because the people I was buying the bed from had to leave to go look at houses, we put the mattress in the hallway and hoped for the best. Finally, the mover called me albeit 30 minutes after they said they'd be there. He sends over a man who looks to be 65 years old, walks with a limp, by himself in a mini-van that is full of crap inside it. OMG! I tell myself, it's OK, don't freak out, I can make this work. The two of us tried a couple times to get the mattress in the elevator with no success (stupid small lifts!), so I dragged the queen mattress down 16 flights of stairs by myself while the old dude who speaks barely any English by the way, gets help from a random resident of the building to get the box spring down. We tie it to the roof of his beat up old minivan and head uptown. Once we arrive, my roommate helps us try to get it up our walk-up. After some work, we get the mattress in, now for the box spring. Unbeknown to me, there is apparently NO way to get a queen bed in this place. People who have lived there for a while knew that, but no one mentioned it to me. So box spring doesn't make it up even half way and we had to bring it back down and leave it for the garbage men. Again, I think I took it in stride and went downstairs to the Door Store and bought a platform bed, finding out during the purchase process that it will take three weeks to arrive! LOL. To top off this day which was just getting more comical by the hour, we went out to watch the Lakers game and not only did they lose, but some random gay guy and his friend invited himself to sit down with us and asked me for my number (I swear he was gay, both Ally and I are certain of it). We left that bar only to find that there was NO ONE out at any of the other bars we could think of to go to. What's with New Yorkers on Sundays? I thought this was supposed to be the city where no one sleeps, but it seemed like they just save it all for Sunday. haha
Monday (Day 2 - First day of work): Get up and go to work, no problems. I even stopped and got a fresh, hot coffee and breakfast sandwich on my way in. Only took me 15 minutes from the time I left the house to get to the office, which was so nice. Subway wasn't overly crowded and it managed not to rain on my way in. Note to self: BUY AN UMBRELLA, I am definitely going to need it. And by the looks of it, sooner rather than later. Anyway, came to work, sat through orientation (long and a lot of information all at once), went to lunch with some people from my team at a place called Just Salad. I have to say, I love the salad places here, really need more of those kind of places in LA. Oh, almost forgot, one of the women who I went to lunch with totally invited me to join them for the Bon Jovi concert this Thursday night, how cool is that?!?! I hope I am not too busy! After that good news, I came back to work, did some searching through the servers, found some interesting stuff and that's pretty much it. My boss was super busy all day, so we didn't have much time to really talk. Sounds like today is going to be majorly busy though! Not only do I have a ton of stuff to learn, but they want me and Matt (the Assistant) to put together an entire plan today! Crazy stressful, but the good kind. I am really excited to learn and the best way to do that is just to jump right in, right? Anyway, left at 6:30 pm, got home, did some returns and exchanges at Urban Outfitters and Bed, Bath and Beyond, and hung out with Toby. He is this Australian guy who I met in LA that happens to be in NY right now by coincidence. We went to Gyu-kaku for happy hour (9:30pm to close), but got there at 9, so we asked our waitress if we could wait to put in our order, for the rest of the night she treated us like scum! lol. Got a little drunk there on Kirin (yum!) and headed to Serendipity! So glad I went, that place was so good. We got chocolate cake and a frozen hot chocolate. LOVED IT! After that I was so tired (and still pretty drunk), so I just went to bed and now here we are, day 3 in NYC.
More later.
XXX,
Jem
if you go see Bon Jovi, let me know if you want special access. We may be in different cities but still hold the same strings! :-)
ReplyDelete