I read this article the other day that was passed on to me by the lovely Elana Richman. It was posted by a blogger on the Village Voice and it listed the 50 Reasons to <3 NYC. It was fabulous and inspired me to compile my own list-in-training of all the parts/things about the city that I have fallen in love with so far. I hope you find it amusing as it was quite fun putting it together.
 |
| People are friendlier than the rest of the US gives them credit for. Give New Yorkers an opportunity to wow you and they will, probably because most of them are transplants themselves. |
 |
| When you want someone to grab a drink or dinner with, chances are it's as easy as just saying it out loud. With everything at your fingertips, bars and restaurants are as easy to get to as just walking downstairs. |
 |
| Free entertainment is everywhere - just take a midday subway ride and you'll know what I am talking about. Rastas playing reggae on the platforms, kids dancing through the cars and sometimes a group of old men singing Sinatra quartet-style. |
 |
| Street food. I haven't really taken advantage of it, but it certainly makes your mouth water, especially those nuts for nuts carts. One day I will partake, until then I will admire from afar. |
 |
| There really is no such thing as jaywalking. When there aren't cars speeding past you, it's your turn to walk. That's just the way it is. |
 |
| Advertising. So I am a little bias obviously because I work in this industry, but the advertising here is just cooler than everywhere else. It's bigger, brighter, louder and more badass. |
Visitors. Tourists suck, especially when you're walking through Times Square and you've got somewhere to be, but it is testament to the fact that this is NYC and everyone comes here, including your friends from the West Coast. Try moving to Utah and getting friends to randomly sign up for trips to visit you, probably not going to happen that much.
 |
| Seasons. I am still figuring out exactly how much I like this, but they have them and that's pretty cool. |
 |
| No matter what time it is, you will probably never find yourself on a street alone in Manhattan. |
 |
| Bars close at 4am, Diners stay open all night. This is a beautiful combination when need it. |
 |
| Central park is amazing. It brings sanity to this city and taking a stroll even along the most outer edges just makes you smile.Whoever thought of it is a genius. |
 |
| Then there are the random parks. The parks you find because you walk by them on your way to work. Little patches of heaven hidden between tall buildings. You can still hear the honking and sirens when you're in them, but for some reason you just don't mind as much. This is the one by my apartment. |
In general, the people are just smarter in New York. That might make them more crass and less warm and fuzzy, but they know how to get a job done right the first time.
 |
| No honking signs. They are everywhere. They threaten large fines, yet no one cares. Just makes you laugh. |
 |
| "Do Not Block the Box" signs. Opposite of cock blocking? Or don't create gridlock? Your call, but I am going with the former considering grid lock (or getting around it) seems to be an art form here. |
 |
| Italian food. If you're craving pasta, chances are you live stones throw to a better plate of plain tomato basil spaghetti or chicken parmigiana than anywhere else outside of Italy. This is just an example... a simple search in menu pages yields 926 Italian restaurants in Manahattan alone. It's a carb lovers dream. HAHA |
Delivery! Oh the wonders of delivery. Every day without fail I come home to a new, yes different, take out menu slipped under my front door. People literally collect delivery menus in nicer binders than most people keep prized recipes in. Oh, and I have yet to see a place that doesn't offer this service for absolutely zilch!
 |
| Public transportation. Need I say more? |
 |
| Desk shoe collections. I have yet to meet a woman in NYC who doesn't horde shoes under her desk. A nice pair of heels, a cute pair of black flats, rain boots. You need 'em, she's got 'em, just don't ask her to share. This is my current collection. |
Okay, so these definitely aren't in order and there are SO many things I didn't even get to touch upon, but it's 6pm on Friday and it's definitely time for me to get out of this cube. I will amend this post at a later date and add more great things that I love about this city (or maybe that I just find amusing).
What fun. I want MORE!!!!
ReplyDelete