Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Finally, I know...

I know, I know, it has been forever since I last updated!

There is so much to tell, I don't quite know how to tackle it. I have a million in one stories in just 11 days, mostly good, some are just a part of life, I guess.

I think to start, I should make an excuse... At first I wasn't posting because I was so busy at work. Also, for those who don't care to read about my twenty-something debauchery, you should probably stop reading now. This happened to be one of the most drunken weekends I've had since I arrived in this city and all the good stories came with alcohol this time (sorry Mom). 

Monday I worked until 8, then went out with a new friend. Just dinner, drinks and good conversation, then a wonderful iChat date with the wonderful Sam and Amber. Good ol' three hour time difference kept me up until about 2am, but it was well worth it. We're going to have to make sure those video chats happen a whole lot more often (sadly, time is the issue these days).

Tuesday was night number one at work until 11:30pm. Another night spent up too late probably, talking on the phone with one of my favorite people from home. Luckily, although I didn't make it to the gym that morning, I did wake up early enough to walk to work (in heels I might add)!

Wednesday was the second day of working late into the night. I was so burnt out by the time I left, the only thing I could think of to do was go out with a couple friends to the Pig 'N Whistle across the street from our office and visit one of my very favorite bartenders, Mel, who you'll read all about in a minute. Max, Mel and I drank some beers and talked about life until the wee hours... again, probably another mistake on my part, but I can't help myself these days -  I just love being out with this great new group of friends I've made. Learning about new people, sharing stories and making new memories at the same time, what's not to like?

Thursday was better. Even though it was definitely not a walk to work day, I did make it in on time, kick ass and get done by 6:30pm - the best feeling ever! Elena, Max and I went to meet up with some of Elana's friends. I had no idea it was Canada Day until I met up with them and they were all wasted already, having taken the day off because they are all Canadian. They took us to a "Canadian" bar, where they served buckets of Labatt and Molson Blue. Not the yummiest of beers, but it definitely did the trick. Before I knew it I was past my limit - oops - and sent myself home. Note to self, EAT DINNER prior to drinking! Who knew... Canada Day!?!?

Thank god for half days! Friday, Elana and I came into work a hot mess and laughed our asses off for a good first portion of the day, swapping stories from the end of the night and how awful we felt that morning. By noon we were begging to go home and when 1pm finally rolled around, we were history. A couple hours later, I met up with Jenn. We made our way downtown for some dinner, met up with Kathy, Max, Alice and her friend. First stop: Keybar for 2-for-1 drinks (shampoo effect came on in full), second stop: Crif Dogs for the best hot dog of my life! I am pretty serious about this even though I was drunk. Just take a look... pure yumminess! :)


Next stop was Kathy's friend Vitali's house. Only took a little while and I was ready to go home. The long week had definitely caught up to me and it was time to get some good sleep before another long Saturday of hanging with the girls.

Saturday morning we watched the Germany vs. Argentina game, or I should say, we just watched Germany, since Argentina didn't even show up to play! After the game, Jenn and I met up with Elana and her friend Lani for lunch at Vertigo. GREAT girls day! Lani was in town because the guy she was supposed to go out of town with got really dehydrated the day before and fainted outside, fell and broke his jaw on the concrete... so much for that vacation. At the hospital apparently, he was classified as "Random Falling Patient", which puts a whole new twist on RFP. In advertising, RFP is request for proposal and now all I can think of is random falling patient. (Maybe this is funnier in person that written). Anyway, I know I shouldn't enjoy someone else's pain, but I am so happy they didn't go on that trip because that girl was great - so funny she had us laughing the whole day. We spent the rest of the night hanging out, just the girls, at the Pig N Whistle on 2nd. We called it a night relatively early, splitting up in order to prepare for the 4th of July!

Jenn went home on Saturday night to get clothes and go to the gym (she is better than I am!), so I woke up in the morning and went on walk, went shopping, hung out, met up with Kathy for lunch. Later, when Jenn got back to the city, Kathy and I met up with her and Elana and went downtown for an Italian dinner. The plan was to go to Ward 3 to visit our new bartender friends before heading out to watch the fireworks on a rooftop overlooking the Hudson. Let's just say, some people got pretty mad at us for ditching our plans... We never made it out of the bar for the fireworks show! Instead, we got treated like the princesses we are and a couple of Jenn's co-workers even met up with us. After too many hours of sitting in the bar, we went to Vaselka.

It's one of Jenn's favorite places for a middle-of-the-night snack. They serve really good breakfast with polish sausages and potato pancakes. The five of us sat there at the table right next to Penn Badgely (from Gossip Girl) and the guy who played Skyler on Heroes (or Spok in the new Star Wars movie, I don't really know his name).

Monday, Jenn and I woke up with an itch to get some sun. So, we met up with Kathy and accidentally wound up in Coney Island. How do you accidentally end up in Coney Island? I don't know... it's a strange one for sure. We didn't realize that's where Kathy's friends were sending us until about an hour into the journey out there - yeah, it really took about an hour and a half to get there! It ended up being one of the shittiest beaches I've ever been to. It must have been 100 degrees, the sand burning our feet and the grossest water ever. Oh, and did I mention we found glass all over the sand? Yuck! We made the most of it though and laid out for a couple hours. Made our way back to the city, tired as hell, in major need of a shower. After pulling ourselves back together, Jenn and I met up with Elana and Mel for dinner at CPK, around the corner from my apartment. And here comes the most interesting story... remember I said you'd hear about Mel??

Mel, the bartender at the bar across the street from my office, is a really beautiful and sweet girl. We bonded one night when I was there after work. She and I lived in San Diego during the same time and loved all the same places! Never thought anything of it since there are millions of people in SD, didn't even play the name game, just shared stories about our favorite places and the ones we can't wait to go back to again. Back to last night, she came over and was talking about her ex-boyfriend/best friend from home who was coming to visit her this week. When we sat down for dinner, we got talking about how she moved to San Diego for him and how he's a Navy Seal. When I asked her if she knew any guys in Team 5, specifically one named Lane, she freaked out. Her ex-boyfriend IS Lane. This is especially crazy since Sherri (my best friend who lives in MN and used to be my roommate in SD) used to date Lane for a little bit.

How in the world?? It's totally amazing how you can walk into a bar 3,000 miles from home and meet someone you've already met! We picked up the pieces and connected the dots, realizing that I had heard of her before and we've been at the same parties. I blows my mind and I can't wait to hang out with the two of them this week!

Another thing - it's remarkable really, how a girl like me, who thought she was moving to a city with no friends has created a strong circle of friends, a group of girls who totally love each other! Each of them I have met in a different realm of my life and knew they were great, brought them together and it just clicked. Every week we get closer and closer and new girls gravitate toward us. I am absolutely loving it.

Just to clear up any confusion about the girls I talk about all the time (for those who don't know the girls at all, which is most), here is how I know them:
- Elana works in the cube next to me at Mindshare
- Mel works in the bar across the street from Mindshare
- Jenn is my wonderful friend Joanie's sister (Joanie lives in LA)
- Kathy and I used to work together at RPA in LA, but were never friends until we moved here, finally finding out how much we love each other!
- Alice just moved out here this past week from LA, where we worked together at RPA
- Ashley (who's been slightly MIA recently) and I met through my CNET rep for mani/pedis one day

Alright, well it's my bedtime, plus this is becoming the longest post EVER!

Night for now. Can't wait to come home to LA and see everyone soon!

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. I laughed, I cried. This was better than CATS! Seriously, girl, you have a brilliant life as an author/blogger ahead of you. Carrie (Sex in the City) Bradshaw had better watch out. Oh yes, since I am still your mom, less sex, more city.

    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete